At Least 50 Killed In Bombing During Mosque's Morning Prayers In Nigeria

Adjust Comment Print

It was learnt that at least 50 people were killed after the suicide bomber attacked the crowed of Muslim worshippers.

Asked who was responsible, Abubakar said: "We all know the trend".

Haruna Furo, head of the Adamawa state emergency management agency, and Musa Hamad Bello, chairman of the Mubi north local government area, both confirmed the attack.

The latest Global Terrorism Index, published last week, said that deaths attributed to Boko Haram in 2016 fell by 80 percent.

Noting the current moves by the IGP to review police personnel and strategy in the state, the president directed him to visit the state and report back his findings about the deadly attacks.

Saudi Arabia seeks to ratchet up pressure against Iran
Hariri cited Iran and Hezballah for meddling in regional affairs and expressed fear of a plot to assassinate him. Despite being Sunni, Hamas has always been seen as an ally of Iran.

But St-Pierre said despite this "Boko Haram remains an extremely potent and unsafe organisation" which was far from being "on the back foot", as the military has claimed. Boko Haram had even taken hold of the territory in 2014, but was pushed out by military troops the following year.

Boko Haram has waged an insurgency in northeast Nigeria since 2009 in its attempt to create an Islamic state in the region, killing more than 20,000 and forcing around 2 million people to flee their homes. The group held land around the size of Belgium in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states until early 2015 but was forced out by Nigeria's army and troops from neighbouring countries.

Adamawa has been the scene of repeated attacks by insurgents in recent years.

Boko Haram fighters killed six farmers outside Maiduguri, the civilian militia and the brother of one of the victims said on Monday.

No-one has said they were behind the bombing but the Islamist militants Boko Haram typically target crowded places in northern Nigeria.

Comments