President Donald Trump announced Saturday morning that he planned to release the tens of thousands of never-before-seen documents left in the files related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination held by the National Archives and Records Administration.
In a statement on Twitter, Trump revealed he will be allowing the "long blocked" documents to be opened for the first time.
Assassination experts say the secret records may reveal new details about what the Central Intelligence Agency knew of assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's trip to the Soviet and Cuban embassies in Mexico City weeks before he shot Kennedy in Dallas on November 22, 1963.
Most of the assassination documents (88%) have already been released, according to a JFK-related Web site that has been counting down the days, with the remainder now being released next week comprising 3,810 documents, including formerly redacted and withheld documents.
The files should put to rest any remaining conspiracy theories around the shocking assassination that have long fuelled rumours of darker forces at play.
Trump weighs in on 'fake' dossier on his alleged Russian Federation ties
A lawyer for the firm questioned the legitimacy of the committee's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election. Steele had been retained by Fusion GPS and was one of the main authors of the original dossier.
The Washington Post reported earlier Saturday that an unidentified National Security Council official said in an interview that some unnamed federal agencies were asking Trump not to release an unknown number of the files because they involved sources and methods used by the agencies. Instead of squashing conspiracy theories, the release of the last files may just exacerbate them.
Sabato and other JFK scholars believe the trove of files may, however, provide insight into assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's trip to Mexico City weeks before the killing, during which he visited the Soviet and Cuban embassies.
Longtime Trump friend Roger Stone, who wrote a book alleging that Johnson was the driving force behind Kennedy's assassination, had personally urged the president to make the files public, he told far-right conspiracy theorist and radio show host Alex Jones this past week.
Pending the President's possible interjection, the National Archives will release the files on October 26.
The former chairman of the Assassination Records Review Board told Dallas News, "I don't think there are big revelations".