Most Russia-linked Facebook Ads Appeared to Users After the Election

Adjust Comment Print

"Forty-four percent of the ads were seen before the USA election on November 8, 2016, fifty-six percent were seen after the election", Elliot Schrage, Facebook's vice president for policy and communications, said in a new post on Monday. In an announcement on Monday, Facebook said it would include more than 1,000 individuals for the following year and put more in programming to wave to and take advertisements naturally.

An estimated 10 million people in the USA saw the ads.

The social network is hiring 1,000 more people for its global ads review teams in the space of the next year, and is "investing more" in machine learning to help with automated flagging for ads. That inconvenient fact clashes with the social network business model, a numbers game with as few barriers to entry for users as possible, and a fervent desire to keep people on board once they've joined no matter what.

However, lawmakers state that they don't entirely have credence in Facebook after the company refused their inceptive demand for attributes about prospective Russian impact. Google - which is also being rounded up as part of the Senate's extensive investigation - just removed Russia Today from its premium YouTube ad program (known as Google Preferred).

Now, the company will be making these policies even stricter for advertisers that will now prevent ads that use even a subtle expressions of violence.

Facebook now testing face ID of its own
The social giant said the feature is now undergoing testing, but did not provide a specific timeline for its release. For years now, they have been tracking faces to help users tag friends, though they are not always accurate.

Adding further to it, Elliot Schrage, the company's VP on policy and communication stated that about 44% of the total ads were visited prior to the election while the remaining 56% were visited afterward. "We understand more about how our service was abused and we will continue to investigate to learn all we can". Roughly half of the ads were seen after the election and a quarter were never viewed at all. "So, we're just looking at the tip of the iceberg".

How many people saw them?

This is an issue we have debated a great deal.

"We understand that Facebook has become an important platform for social and political expression in the USA and around the world", Schrage wrote. We were able to approximate the number of unique people ("reach") who saw at least one of these ads, with our best modeling 44% of total ad impressions (number of times ads were displayed) were before the USA election on November 8, 2016; 56% were after the election.

Facebook will be working with industry leaders and governments worldwide to share information about bad actors on the platform and ensure that they stay off all the other social media platforms too. We know that our experience is only a small piece of a much larger puzzle.

Comments