The suspect who caused a small explosion in Brussels Central Station has been identified as a 36-year-old local man, the Belgian federal prosecutor's office said.
The passenger approached a group of around passengers at the station before grabbing his suitcase and causing a "partial explosion", Van Der Sypt said.
On Tuesday night, Belgian soldiers shot and killed the suspect after he set off a small explosion at the central train station in the capital.
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel said a "terrorist attack has been prevented" in the city that hosts the European Union and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation headquarters.
After convening a security cabinet meeting on Wednesday, the Prime Minister said extra measures were being taken to secure stations, public places and major events.
The city has been on high alert for more than 18 months since Brussels-based Islamic State militants carried out attacks in Paris that killed 130 people in November 2015.
While Tuesday's attack was foiled by the forces and no one was injured, in an attack that shook the country previous year in March, 32 civilians had lost their lives and many more were injured.
The explosion in the Brussels station came one day after another failed attack in Paris. "Fortunately nobody was hurt", he said.
Markets Right Now: Stock indexes slip below recent records
Among stocks, Lennar rose 4.2 percent to $54.91 after the No. 2 USA homebuilder reported a higher-than-expected quarterly profit. Seven of the 11 major S&P sectors were lower, with the energy index's 0.97 percent fall leading the decliners.
The man left his luggage before it exploded a second time.
The Belgian Foreign Ministry said there is no indication of other incidents but the threat level remains at 3, which warns of a "possible and likely threat".
A witness in the train station told Agence France Presse a man "cried "Allahu Akbar" (God is great), and. blew up a trolley".
The soldier opened fire, hitting the man several times and killing him on the spot.
"There were people crying, there were people shouting", said Elisa Roux, a spokeswoman for the Belgian rail company SNCB.
Jambon said the attack Tuesday evening could have been much worse because the "big explosion did not happen", adding more details about the device would be released shortly.
The center that monitors security threats in Belgium says the available information so far doesn't yet merit going to the highest possible terror alert level. Then people started to run away.
He described the suspect as well-built and tanned with short hair, wearing a white shirt and jeans.
According to well informed sources, there are about 800 suspected jihadists in Belgium, 450 in Brussels, and 85 in Molenbeek.