Iran's top leader says United States should not enter Iraq "under any pretext"

Adjust Comment Print

Israel's military and Israeli defense analysts have mocked Iran's first strike on the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) in Syria, arguing that numerous missiles Tehran used in the raid missed their targets.

The Guard said it fired six missiles in total from Kermanshah and also from Iran's Kurdistan province into Syria's Deir el-Zour province, where IS has been trying to fortify its positions in the face of a USA -led coalition onslaught.

Al-Islam's declaration that the missiles launched were "100 percent accurate" contradicts Israeli reports that said out of four or five missiles launched into the Deir ez-Zor region of eastern Syria on Sunday - a province housing IS militants - only one actually hit its target.

The Islamic State launched two coordinated attacks against Iran's Parliament and tomb of Ayatollah Khomeini on June 7 in Tehran.

The Iranian Regime has blamed the attack on the Saudis and the USA, who they claim supports terrorists, despite the fact that they are fighting ISIS in Syria.

The Guards have played a major role in training Shiite militias in Iraq that are a significant force in the fightback against the Islamic State group, and have also trained thousands of "volunteers" to battle alongside President Bashar al-Assad's forces in Syria.

Activists in Syria said they had no immediate information on damage or casualties from the strikes, launched from Iran's Kurdistan and Kermanshah provinces. The national TV showed footages of missile attacks launched from western Iran.

Iran's recent strike on the Islamic State was also a signal to the US that the country's missile program will not be deterred by sanctions, according to Iranian parliamentarians.

The Guard described the missile strike as revenge for attacks on Tehran earlier this month.

Family affair: Lakers get Lonzo Ball and dad with No. 2 pick
See, some people can pass, but very few people can lead to a scoring pass". The Lakers figure to be interested in all of them.

“This attack comes at a time when the Syrian Arab army and its allies are advancing in the fight against ISIS terrorists who are being defeated the Syrian desert in more ways than one, ” the statement read.

Analysts say that more robust USA military action in Syria since President Donald Trump took office in January has resulted from his decision to give the military more autonomy in how it pursues the war on Islamic State.

Separately, Fox News has learned more about the Iranian missiles fired into eastern Syria yesterday.

The presence of Iranian-backed troops, artillery and tanks and USA -led coalition forces in southern Syria, namely around the at-Tanf crossing at the Iraq-Syria border, has slowly turned the area into a flash point.

Tensions between longtime rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran have escalated in recent weeks after the Saudis and their Gulf partners cut ties to Qatar, citing, in part, its association to Iran and Tehran's alleged link to terrorism.

The area is of strategic significance to Tehran as it seeks to secure a land corridor to its allies in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon and establish a "Shi'ite crescent" of influence that has long concerned US -allied states in the Middle East.

The operation comes just days after the U.S. Senate passed the Countering Iran's Destabilizing Activities Act by an overwhelming margin, a new sanctions legislation which targets Iran's ballistic missile program and applies sanctions against the IRGC. While Iran has other ballistic missiles it says can reach longer distances, Sunday night's launch appears to mark the longest strike it has launched overseas.

Iranian media has highlighted the missile attack as a success and the first by Iran outside its own territory in 30 years, since the Iran-Iraq war of 1980-88. And former IRGC Guard chief Gen. Mohsen Rezai wrote on Twitter, "The bigger slap is yet to come". They will reveal the location of missile sites and will provide details about the actual missiles.

Comments