Philippines Launches Offensive in Marawi With Aim to End Battle By Weekend

Adjust Comment Print

The fighting in Marawi City has dragged on for a month as of Tuesday, and almost 350 people have been killed, according to an official count.

Suspected members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) raided a village in Pigcawayan, North Cotabato, around 5:30 a.m., Wednesday, engaged government troopers in a firefight, and are holding hostages, six of them children, a police official said. Other captives in the school and more 20 other residents who were trapped in their houses later were taken to safety by troops, officials said. Gen. Restituto Padila told Al Jazeera on June 20.

Emamon said military troops confirmed the presence of the gunmen in the area. As the military pursued the bandits, 32 more residents caught in the crossfire joined the hostages and were also rescued by the AFP.

Eastmincom security Eastern Mindanao Command (EMC) deputy commander and Martial law spokesperson Brigadier General Gapay said in a press forum on Wednesday that security measures were already imposed on the ground to prevent such attack to happen amid the ongoing Marawi crisis.

He said authorities are checking if the rebels have released five civilians they held hostage.

Trump to reveal Cuba policy in Miami this Friday
But none of the changes will become effective until the Treasury Department issues new regulations, which could take months. Trump had previously said he supported restoring diplomatic relations but wished the USA had negotiated a better deal.

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has accepted he might require USA help to oust Islamic State militant group (ISIS) rebel fighters from the city of Marawi, a spokesperson said Tuesday. Weakened by battle setbacks, some commanders have aligned themselves with the Islamic State group in the hope of securing funding from the Middle East-based group, according to the military. Philippine troops, backed by airstrikes, have been fighting street battles to wrest back control of four areas in the city's business district.

Members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) Special Action Force are onboard a military truck for reinforcements, as government forces continue their assault against insurgents from the Maute group, who have taken over large parts of Marawi City, Philippines June 19, 2017.

The government has reported 258 militants being killed, including a Chechen, a Libyan, Malaysians and other foreigners. President Rodrigo Duterte, despite having an antagonistic stance toward Washington, has acknowledged the US assistance is helping save lives.

The seizure of Marawi has alarmed Southeast Asian nations which fear Islamic State - on a backfoot in Iraq and Syria - is trying to set up a stronghold in the southern Philippines that could threaten the whole region.

Comments