United Kingdom police: 58 dead and presumed dead in London blaze

Adjust Comment Print

London Police have announced they are launching an investigation into the shocking and devastating Grenfell Tower disaster, hinting that criminal offences may have contributed to the apartment block blaze that has so far racked up an "official" death toll of 30, a number that is expected to rise.

After a botched snap election that lost her party its majority in Parliament, Mrs May is under fire for her response to the blaze on Wednesday.

She also pledged 5 million pounds ($6.39 million) of support, housing guarantees and help with access to bank accounts and cash.

The confirmed death toll from the Grenfell Tower fire in London has risen to 30, with 12 people still in a critical condition in hospital, police said.

The BBC said the London Fire Brigade has requested that service on two transit lines near the site of the fire be halted over concerns about the stability of the building.

Metropolitan Police said family liaison officers have been deployed to support 52 families of residents who died, were injured or were reported missing. "So that 58 would include that 30", the spokesman said Saturday.

"People are terrified that the same thing could happen to them", said Khan.

A solemn Queen Elizabeth II marked a minute of silence for victims of the London high-rise inferno at the start of a procession Saturday to mark her official birthday. "The bodies have been taken to a morgue, but more bodies remain in the building".

Senate passes Iran and Russian Federation sanctions despite Obama's nuke deal
Bob Corker, R-Tenn., the Foreign Relations Committee chairman, said the amendment's final language precluded that. Also covered by the sanctions are people doing business with Russian intelligence and defense agencies.

Hundreds of people, including singer and human rights campaigner Lily Allen, were protesting outside the town hall of Kensington and Chelsea, holding up cardboard signs reading "Justice for Grenfell".

Meanwhile, residents and families met with the Prime Minister at No.10 as Theresa May was blasted for her handling of the disaster.

It has since emerged that the U.S. had banned the type of cladding thought to have been used on Grenfell Tower.

"The local community feels their grief has been made worse by the lack of information about their missing family members and friends", he wrote.

Mr Cundy said: "The investigation will be exhaustive".

"We were looking for her to say that she is here with the community", Simon McDonald, who grew up in the area, told the Guardian.

Cundy said police will investigate the tower's refurbishment project, which experts believe may have left the building more vulnerable to a catastrophic blaze. "United in our sadness, we are equally determined, without fear or favor, to support all those rebuilding lives so horribly affected by injury and loss". As many as 500 gathered at the building, forcing May to run to her vehicle under police guard as she left the building, with echoes of "coward" being hurled in her direction.

Comments