Kingpin in Tehran Terror Attacks Killed

Adjust Comment Print

Iran said late Saturday night that the alleged suspect who planned twin terrorist attacks in Tehran last week had been killed, The Associated Press reported early Sunday.

An armed man stands in a window of the parliament building in Tehran, Iran, Wednesday, June 7, 2017.

They were trapped and immobilized on the fourth floor where their ammunition ran out thanks to wisdom of the IRGC forces, Gorjizadeh said, adding, "Only few grenades and explosive belts remained for them".

However, in Wednesday's attacks, no member of the parliament was killed as the attackers were unable to breach the building's out perimeter and failed to reach the main complex. It says dozens of people have been detained.

The first Islamic State terror operation hitting Iran, its chief adversary, set off a chain of arrests across the country.

However, faced with fierce resistance from Iran's security forces, which they apparently had not predicted and did not expect, the terrorists fled to other easily accessible parts of the parliament building where they were cornered and eliminated by Iranian forces.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attack.

Tehran terror attacks' mastermind killed by security forces
At least 13 people were killed in twin attacks on the government building and burial site of Iran's religious leader. IS had carried out attacks in Saudi Arabia in the past, targeting the Kingdom's Shia population.

On Friday, Iranians from all walks of life held a massive funeral ceremony for the victims of the terrorist incidents.

On Saturday, the authorities also announced the arrests of eight people in Alborz province, north of Tehran, who allegedly provided logistical support to the attackers.

Alavi said the operation was carried out by security forces on Saturday in collaboration with the secret services of neighbouring countries, reports Efe news.

"Tehran police announced on Saturday a auto used by terrorists to reach the attack sites was found in downtown Tehran".

"Six people who were certainly connected to Wednesday's terrorist attacks in Tehran were identified and arrested", head of the justice department in Kordestan province in western Iran Aliakbar Garousi said according to Fars news agency.

"Terrorists took the auto to go to the mausoleum of Imam Khomeini [south of the metropolis]".

Comments