London terror attacks: Who were the attackers?

Adjust Comment Print

The attacker and two of his accomplices then rented a smaller, white vehicle, which they then drove into crowds of people at London's Borough Market, ultimately leaving eight people dead and almost 50 injured.

Counter-terror agencies were already under intense scrutiny after it was revealed Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30, were also known to security services.

The police have come under scrutiny following the identification of the attackers because one of them was known to the authorities.

Seven people were killed and 48 injured when Butt and accomplices Youssef Zaghba and Rachid Redouane used a van to run down pedestrians on London Bridge.

Rowley said the investigation into Butt had begun two years ago but "there was no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being coordinated and the investigation had been prioritised accordingly". He was working at reception of a local fitness center.

He is alleged to have been an associate of the hate preacher Anjem Choudary and appeared in a 2016 Channel 4 documentary about British Islamic extremists, The Jihadis Next Door.

"We have, this morning, the confirmation of a new toll". His mother was said to have told police past year that he had asked her for money to travel to Rome before he left on his attempted trip to Syria. Friends who were with him at the time said he fell to the ground after confronting one of the assailants.

Trump '100%' Willing To Testify About Comey Discussions
But the one question Trump wouldn't definitely answer is if recordings of his conversations with Comey exist. Trump hinted that tapes of his conversations might exist in the days following his dismissal of Comey .

Asked by ITV television if he backed the calls for May to resign, he said: "Indeed I would". He became the eighth person to be confirmed dead in the attack.

- He had claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan, Met Police said.

The investigation into the attacks involved two more raids on Monday in Newham and Barking, east London, as police tried to establish if the three attackers had any help.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "Detectives investigating the London Bridge terror attack have carried out a search warrant at an address in east London in the early hours of Wednesday June 7".

Zaghba visited his mother at her home near Bologna several times and in March 2016, after being stopped at Bologna airport, he was investigated for possible global terrorist activity but released.

Britain will need to radically change its strategy to stop militant attacks because the threat is now at a "completely different" level of danger, according to the country's top counter-terrorism officer.

Comments