Region won't follow Metrolinx into buying non-Bombardier LRVs

Adjust Comment Print

Ontario's transit agency Metrolinx, a major customer of Bombardier's light rail vehicles, announced Friday that it has turned to a competitor of the Montreal-based company over "serious concerns" quality vehicles won't be delivered on time.

The provincial government had no choice but to sideline Bombardier and seek an alternate vehicle supplier for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, according to the minister of transportation. The deal also includes an option for additional vehicles. "From my perspective it's essential that we take responsible action in order to ensure that we successfully deliver on our commitments to open these transit projects on time".

TORONTO-The Ontario government says it has an agreement to buy 61 light-rail vehicles from French manufacturer Alstom as an insurance plan in case Bombardier can't deliver railcars for transit projects in Toronto.

Alstom is to supply 17 vehicles for the Finch West LRT project, with the other 44 to be put into service on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT line, which is due to open in 2021.

Oil spikes as USA inventories tumble by more than expected
Gasoline stocks USOILG=ECI fell 150,000 barrels, compared with expectations in a Reuters poll for a 538,000-barrel drop. The EIA also raised its production forecast for 2018 from 9.9 million barrels a day to "almost" 10 million barrels.

"I refuse to stand idly by in this time of uncertainty", he said. Alstom Canada is now delivering quality vehicles on time for Ottawa's Confederation Line LRT. Metrolinx, as the agency is known, awarded Bombardier a contract valued at C$770 million ($560 million) nearly seven years ago, with deliveries originally scheduled to take place from 2013 to 2020. "We have addressed the issues raised in the past and we are confident this will be upheld in the dispute resolution process".

Del Duca said that some modifications will have to be made to maintenance and storage facilities associated with the Crosstown, so that either the Alstom or Bombardier vehicles could be used.

When asked for comment on the order, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters just north of Toronto on Friday that his government tends "to respect the opportunity and the responsibility of municipalities and provinces to make decisions around procurement". An effort by the agency to cancel the Bombardier deal was blocked by the Ontario Superior Court of Justice last month.

The dispute resolution process continues, but Metrolinx says this could take a further 8-12 months to conclude. "We are hopeful that Bombardier can get its programme on track".

Comments