Senate President Bukola Saraki has commended the efforts of President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government, security operatives, and the global Red Cross on the release of 82 of the Chibok schoolgirls that were part of the group abducted by Boko Haram in 2014.
A Nigerian official said that while some girls had been released by Boko Haram they had not yet reached the Borno state capital of Maiduguri.
The 82 girls, released in a prisoner swap, arrive in Abuja for health checkups before meeting the president.
A military source said the girls were now in Banki near the Cameroon border for medical checks before being airlifted to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state.
The government secured their freedom with mediation by the International Committee of the Red Cross.
Recall that Boko Haram members in 2014 abducted more than 200 secondary school girls of Government Girls' Secondary School, Chibok, Borno.
The April 2014 abduction by Boko Haram brought the extremist group's rampage in northern Nigeria to world attention and began years of heartbreak for the families of the missing schoolgirls.
Fifty-seven managed to escape in the hours that followed, but the remaining 219 were held by the armed group.
"They will face a long and hard process to rebuild their lives after the indescribable horror and trauma they have suffered at the hands of Boko Haram", said Pernille Ironside, acting representative of UNICEF Nigeria.
Sam Vokes set for homecoming as Burnley seek strong finish
However, they have conceded 19 goals in their last 10 league games at the Vitality Stadium , keeping only two clean sheets. If you went on maximising a group then the last Premier League season because the group wasn't strong enough really.
The announcement Sunday night came shortly after Buhari said he had met with the 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed after being kidnapped three years ago by Boko Haram extremists. 7, 2017. Five Boko Haram commanders were released in exchange for the freedom of.
The International Committee of the Red Cross says it acted as a neutral intermediary and transported the 82 freed Chibok schoolgirls into the hands of Nigeria's government.
Following the weekend release, 113 Chibok schoolgirls remain missing.
"The girls are due tomorrow (Sunday) in Abuja to be received by the President". No details were given about how many suspects were released or their identities.
Last month, Buhari announced his government was negotiating the release of all the captured girls.
Last month, he said in a radio interview that there were ongoing negotiations involving "some foreign entities" to release the 195 girls believed still held.
Although the Nigerian government past year claimed to have "crushed" the militant group, its members have continued to carry out attacks.
After an initial release of 21 Chibok girls in October, the government denied making an exchange or paying ransom.





Comments