Thailand father films himself killing daughter on Facebook Live

Adjust Comment Print

Facebook released a statement after the Thailand tragedy, saying, "There is absolutely no place for acts of this kind on Facebook".

A man in Thailand filmed himself killing his 11-month-old daughter and posted the video on Facebook before committing suicide.

Jullaus Suvannin, a police officer in charge of the case, said Wongtalay's motive appeared to be his troubled marriage. The video was livestreamed Monday evening and made inaccessible by Facebook late Tuesday afternoon. After an extensive police search for him, a suspect charged with killing an elderly Cleveland man and streaming it on Facebook Live killed himself.

Police said the man had an abusive history toward his wife - the day before he tried to change his wife's Facebook profile picture and they had fought.

His own death, however, was reportedly NOT live streamed over Facebook, but the daughter's murder apparently remained live on Facebook for almost 24 hours after the incident, according to Reuters.

Two videos showing the child's death were posted on the man's Facebook page for about 24 hours, Reuters reported.

Filipino envoy hails Duterte human-rights record at United Nations body
A video clip of Duterte was also showed by Cayetano where the Philippine president was seen vowing to put "drug lords. below (the) ground".

The murder in Phuket came less than two weeks after a man in Cleveland, Ohio, in the United States, posted on Facebook footage of himself fatally shooting another man.

Jiranuch Triratana, Wuttisan's wife, who had lived with her husband for over a year, said their relationship was fine at first, but he eventually became violent.

A regional Facebook representative in Singapore said the incident was "appalling".

The video was available for viewing for 24 hours before Facebook responded to complaints and removed the video.

But according to someone who has worked on similar issues at Facebook, the company and others in Silicon Valley are working on the easier issue of blocking previously identified child pornography videos and said identifying violence on new videos would be hard. At that time, Facebook said it was "constantly exploring ways that new technologies can help us make sure Facebook is a safe environment". Thailand's Digital Economy Ministry announced that it contacted Facebook to delete the videos at the police request.

After the Cleveland killing, Facebook launched a review of video content in an attempt to tackle horrific videos. While the video was viewed hundreds of thousands of times Natalie's mother, 21-year-old Chiranut Trairat, said she is not upset with its viewers and the only person she blames for her daughter's death is Wongtalay.

Comments