Reus rues sloppy start in Dortmund's Champions League exit

Adjust Comment Print

Borussia Dortmund players applaud their fans after losing to Monaco in the Champions League quarters on Wednesday.

"We started well with one or two unsafe moves where we found some space and then conceded an unlucky goal".

As Monaco strolled into the semi-finals of the Champions League on Wednesday night, reaching the last four of the competition for the first time since 2004 thanks to one of their more complete performances of the season.

"There are three wonderful teams [Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid and Juventus], with lots of experience".

Former Germany global Marcell Jansen said the trauma of last week was plain to see and had hamstrung Dortmund's performance in Monaco.

Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim: "Our head must be on tomorrow only, nothing else". "We're the team that's playing the most in Europe".

His side extended a run that began in the third qualifying round against Fenerbahce in July a year ago. Monaco got past Fenerbahce and then beat Spanish side Villarreal to reach the group stages.

"It's not easy to play the Champions League and to try and win the league at the same time", Jardim said.

In the night's other match, Barcelona went out after drawing 0-0 at home to Juventus, which won the first leg 3-0.

However, any hopes the Germans had of staying the competition were snuffed out when Monaco sub Valere Germain netted late on, just 22 seconds after coming off the bench.

USADA hands Frank Mir two-year sanction
Mir returned almost two years later, eventually going on to win the interim title against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in 2008. According to MMAFighting.com , first-time offenders under the UFC's tough new PED policy receive a two-year suspension.

"It's an incredible season for us, indeed".

@BVB! We will never forget.

For Dortmund, elimination was hard to take but the tie was overshadowed by the bomb attack on their team bus en route to last week's first leg which left Marc Bartra with a broken wrist.

Dortmund were earlier left unimpressed by their delayed arrival, which the Bundesliga club said in a post on Twitter was because the bus had been stopped by police "for approximately 20 minutes without justification".

"We're competitors and we want to be involved in every competition. Everyone was on the bus and the police were ready to accompany us, but then we were told we had to wait", Tuchel said after the 3-1 defeat in the Mediterranean principality, which saw them go out 6-3 on aggregate.

On the pitch, Dortmund conceded after just three minutes.

"At this level you can't impose limits on the players".

Falcao lofted a shot narrowly over after breaking down the right in the 65th and Mbappe had a low shot saved moments later from a similar position.

As the hour mark passed, Monaco had a great chance to put the tie out of reach when a long ball found Falcao in space, but although the Colombian twisted past defender Matthias Ginter, he could only stab the ball over both the keeper and the crossbar.

Comments