And Islamist extremism was again touted as the possible culprit for last week's attack after three identical letters were found at the scene. They said W. had also booked a room there and placed three explosives, packed with shrapnel, along the route the bus would take to reach the stadium for their first-leg match April 11 against Monaco.
"You could expect a massive drop in values of the shares if players had been injured or even killed during the attack".
He had bought 15,000 so-called put options on the team's shares on the day of the attack, prosecutors said.
The blast injured defender Marc Barta, who required surgery on his arm and wrist, and forced a one-day postponement of Dortmund's Champions League game against Monaco.
Prosecutors told yesterday how Sergei W traded in Borussia Dortmund shares over the internet from the players' hotel, leaving a trail of evidence in the form of the hotel's IP address that would eventually lead police to him.
Ralf Jäger, the top security official in North Rhine-Westphalia state, said the suspect had hoped to earn millions though it remains unclear exactly how much the options could have earned the man. But earlier this week police said these appeared to have been planted in an attempt to mislead investigators.
Champions League challenge still 'far away' for Man City, accepts Guardiola
Hopefully we got that experience there and it'll help us next season. My feeling before was he was just waiting to score a goal. Liverpool have a game and if they win they will be third.
No one was killed, but the bombs injured a policeman and one of Dortmund's players, 26-year-old Spanish worldwide Marc Bartra. A police officer accompanying the bus also suffered trauma from the blast.
In a statement the German federal prosecutor's office said Sergej W has of German and Russian nationality.
"We are very grateful and hope that with the suspect's arrest, the perpetrator responsible for the despicable attack against our players and staff members has been caught", the club said in a statement.
In response, UEFA insisted the decision was made in "complete agreement with clubs and authorities". "For everybody who sat in that bus, this information is important as it makes it easier to deal with it all".
Prosecutors revealed last week that they were investigating a third claim of responsibility for the explosions, with the Tagesspiegel newspaper reporting they had been sent a letter apparently written by far-right groups in the country.
Two people needed medical help after three bombs exploded near the bus which was on its way to a Champions League match outside the city of Dortmund. The 28-year-old man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder, among other things. Prosecutors identified the bomber only as Sergei W., a dual national with Russian and German citizenship.