Facebook killer Steve Stephens takes own life after police chase

Adjust Comment Print

OH man Steve Stephens, 37, filmed the murder of 74-year-old grandfather Robert Godwin Sr before posting it to Facebook.

Pennsylvania State Police tweeted that Steve Stephens was spotted on Tuesday morning in Erie County.

Acting on a tip from the McDonald's, state troopers spotted Stephens leaving the restaurant in Erie and went after him, bumping his auto to try to get it to stop, authorities said.

Pennsylvania police said he shot himself with a handgun about a mile from the McDonald's following a low-speed pursuit - at under 80km per hour.

The family of Mr Godwin - a father of 10 and grandfather of 14 - had offered to forgive the suspected killer.

Steve Stephens posted a video of himself shooting and killing a man on Facebook on Sunday. "I snapped, I just snapped", Stephens said. State Police Maj. William Teper Jr. would say only that the tip came from a "concerned citizen". "As the officers approached that vehicle, Steve Stephens took his own life", Cleveland police chief Calvin Williams said.

Law enforcement officials had said on Monday that Stephens' cellphone was last tracked Sunday afternoon near Erie, about 100 miles (160 kilometres) east of Cleveland.

Local, state and federal authorities involved in the manhunt for Stephens, who was said to be driving a white Ford Fusion with a temporary license plates.

After the horrific Cleveland shooting of 74-year-old Robert Godwin was posted to Facebook, the video remained for almost two hours before the social media company took it down. "If you did it, you have to face your crime", she said.

Blue Jackets' Calvert suspended 1 game for hit on Penguins' Kuhnhackl
Evgeni Malkin scored his first goal of the postseason, and Patric Hornqvist pushed in an empty-net goal. So, the "second line" started the game and will probably stay matched up against Sidney Crosby.

Just after 11 a.m. today (Tuesday), a female employee at the McDonald's drive-thru pay window in Harborcreek Township recognized Stephens and told her manager.

The police chief said that it wasn't clear whether Stephens had any help while he was on the run or where he had been and that investigators will try to retrace his steps.

The killing was the latest in a string of disturbing crimes captured on Facebook video, including the alleged gang rape of a 15-year-old girl, two fatal shootings, and the kidnapping and torture of a disabled 18-year-old man.

Facebook has since announced it was launching a review for reporting harmful content.

Police say Godwin is the only known victim.

In the video of the shooting, Stephens told Godwin the name of his girlfriend and said, "She's the reason that this is about to happen to you".

Stephens is believed to have videotaped his actions and published it on Facebook, along with another video threatening to kill others and claiming he had already killed 13 people.

The woman Stephens spoke of, Joy Lane, said in a text message to CBS that "we had been in a relationship for several years".

Detectives spoke with the suspect on Sunday by cellphone and tried to persuade him to surrender, police said.

Comments