Strike kills 15, including 4 children, in Syria's Idlib: monitor

Adjust Comment Print

A joint command center made up of the forces of Russia, Iran and militias supporting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad slammed Friday's U.S. strike on a Syrian air base, saying the move crossed "red lines", Reuters reports. Washington hurried to accuse the Syrian government for the suspected chemical attack.

The US and United Kingdom have blamed Russian Federation for being complicit in the deaths of civilians in last week's alleged chemical attack and Moscow could face fresh worldwide sanctions over its support for the dictator.

UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson cancelled his trip to Moscow on Saturday just hours before he was due to fly, stating his priority is to "build coordinated worldwide support for a ceasefire".

Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said in an interview that she sees regime change in Syria as one of the Trump administration's priorities in the country wracked by civil war.

Britain's foreign secretary has cancelled a landmark trip to Russian Federation amid escalating tensions in Syria.

She criticised Russian Federation for supporting Syrian regime leader Bashar al-Assad.

The US strike Thursday was created to be a targeted mission on the airfield from where the deadly chemical attack was launched Tuesday. "Russia should ask themselves, 'What are we doing here?' Why are we supporting this murderous regime that is committing mass murder of its own population and using the most heinous weapons available?'"

China to Be Given More Time to Pressure North Korea
Trump campaigned on an "America First" platform, and has vowed to narrow big trade deficits with nations such as China and Japan. But the meetings could indicate how forcefully the US will pressure Japan to further open its farm and automotive sectors.

The Syrian regime denies that it carried out the nerve agent gas attack in Idlib.

Johnson called on Moscow to do all it can to bring about a "political settlement" in Syria and work with the worldwide community "to ensure that the shocking events of the last week are never repeated".

US President Donald Trump ordered the strikes after he blamed Assad for this week's chemical attack, which killed at least 70 people, many of them children, in the Syrian town of Khan Sheikhoun.

Since the Syrian civil war began in 2011, USA -based Physicians for Human Rights has recorded 382 attacks on medical facilities and hospitals throughout the country. He said that for that "this oppressive Assad needs to go".

President Hassan Rouhani earlier criticised his USA counterpart Donald Trump for the missiles fired early on Friday in response to the suspected chemical attack.

The Kremlin meanwhile said Russia's president, Vladimir Putin and Hassan Rouhani, his Iranian counterpart, agreed in a telephone call that that U.S. aggression against Syria was not permissible and violated global law.

Comments