Pence is on the first stop of a four-nation Asia tour meant to show America's allies, and remind its adversaries, that the Trump administration was not turning its back on the increasingly volatile region. "And, so, it's time for us to undertake all actions we can short of a military option to try to resolve this peacefully".
On Friday, North Korea said the unsafe security situation was due to the "Trump administration's reckless military provocation".
China in February banned coal imports from North Korea after the murder, leading to a rare public spat after Pyongyang accused Beijing of "dancing to the tune of the U.S". The other called for a freeze on U.S.
North Korea's KCNA news agency on Monday carried a letter from leader Kim Jong Un to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad marking the 70th anniversary of Syria's independence.
"I know the President of the United States has no higher priority than the safety and security of the American people", Pence, addressing the potential threat. Pence, who visited the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) dividing North and South Korea on Monday, said that North Korean people and military "should not mistake the resolve of the United States of America to stand with our allies".
Pence, whose father was a decorated solider in the Korean War, added that "all options are on the table".
A White House foreign policy adviser travelling with Mr Pence said no United States response to the missile launch was expected because there was no need for the USA to reinforce the failure.
He said the Trump administration's deployment of the Carl Vinson nuclear carrier task group to waters off the Korean Peninsula again "proves the USA reckless moves for invading the DPRK have reached a serious phase of its scenario". Trump campaigned for office on an "America First" platform, and has vowed to narrow big trade deficits with nations like China, Germany and Japan.
North Korea launched a long-range rocket and conducted two nuclear tests previous year, including its most powerful to date.
Mr McMaster gave the blunt assessment that Pyongyang's stance "just can't continue" after its failed missile launch on Sunday.
Japan PM urges N. Korea to refrain from more provocative actions
Pence said on Monday that Trump was "very hopeful that China will take actions to bring about a change of policy in North Korea ". US Vice President Mike Pence says the country's resolve and commitment to its alliance with South Korea has never been stronger.
The high-profile failure came as the North tried to showcase its nuclear and missile capabilities around the birth anniversary of the North's late founder and as a US aircraft carrier neared the Korean Peninsula.
McMaster said various USA military and intelligence agencies are working on providing options to "have them ready" for Trump "if this pattern of destabilizing behavior continues". It has repeatedly called for talks while appearing increasingly frustrated with the North.
Trump has sought to pressure Xi into taking stronger action to help stop Kim's regime from developing more advanced nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles. Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said Monday that tensions need to be eased on the Korean Peninsula to bring the escalating dispute there to a peaceful resolution.
The Prime Minister said he would be discussing the North Korea issue with Russian President Vladimir Putin at a summit later this month.
Trump has stated that he wants to see China take a larger role in pressuring the North Korean regime.
Trump wrote Sunday on Twitter that China was working with the United States on "the North Korea problem".
Along with the deployment of the Naval aircraft carrier and other vessels into waters off the Korean Peninsula, thousands of US and South Korean troops, tanks and other weaponry were also deployed last month in their biggest-ever joint military exercises.
China banned imports of North Korean coal on February 26, cutting off its most important export and Chinese media has raised the possibility of restricting oil shipments to the North if it unleashed more provocations.
The missile blew up nearly immediately after launch, a USA military spokesman said on Saturday.
US officials and experts believe it is some time away from mastering the necessary technology, including miniaturising a nuclear warhead.



Comments