North Korea fails missile launch, Pence set to meet regional allies

Adjust Comment Print

Pence plans to depart South Korea on Tuesday for Japan, where he will meet with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and hold economic discussions with top Japanese officials. However, military officials have said the USA doesn't intend to use military force against North Korea in response to either a nuclear test or a missile launch. "But dialogue for the sake of having dialogue is meaningless".

China, the North's sole major ally, and Russian Federation have both urged restraint, with Beijing's foreign minister Wang Yi warning that "conflict could break out at any moment".

Tension in the area has risen under as the administration of President Donald Trump in the United States has said that all options are on the table, which Abe said Japan supports.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has pointed to nuclear weapons as the foundation of his national defense strategy and has openly sought a nuclear weapon that could strike the continental U.S. Analysts have said commercial satellite images from recent weeks indicate increased activity around the nuclear test site in northern North Korea. "There was a period of strategic patience but the era of strategic patience is over". He says the Trump administration hopes their clarity will be received in North Korea, adding the US and its allies will achieve its objectives through "peaceable means or ultimately by whatever means are necessary" to protect South Korea and stabilize the region.

Large-scale annual exercises between the South Korean and US militaries will continue until the end of April, and North Korea will mark another important date - the anniversary of the foundation of the Korean People's Army - on April 25.

The White House foreign policy adviser travelling with Pence told reporters that the type of missile that North Korea tried to fire on Sunday was medium-range, and that it exploded about 4 to 5 seconds after it was launched. While the North did not conduct a nuclear test, the specter of a potential escalated USA response trailed Pence as he began a 10-day trip to Asia.

Pence will be diving into a tense standoff along the Korean Peninsula with visits to South Korea and Japan beginning Sunday. The joint U.S. -South Korean military camp is just outside the 2.5-mile-wide DMZ.

Pence's visit came amid increasing tensions and heated rhetoric on the Korean Peninsula.

US Vice President Mike Pence, who is on a trip to South Korea, says the era of patience with North Korea is over, warning Pyongyang over its development of ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons.

McCollum, Lillard not enough to overcome Warriors
As previously mentioned, it was the Blazers' two stars in Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum who truly did the heavy lifting, though. But in the end, we'll arrive at a simple truth: no one could single-handedly stop an opponent like Green.

Meanwhile, the United States is already aware of North Korea's capabilities, including its work on an intercontinental ballistic missile.

During a briefing with Gen. Vincent Brooks, head of U.S. Forces Korea, Pence said the alliance between Americans and South Koreans "is historic" and "a testament to the unshakeable bond between our people".

The U.S. and North Korea agree to a freeze on Pyongyang's nuclear and missile tests after a series of tough negotiations. The New York Times reported last month that the USA military is working hard on missile defenses that would involve sabotage rather than traditional anti-missile interceptors.

China works to arrange talks between the USA and North Korea to avoid war. If they are unable to do so, the USA, with its allies, will!

China said it cut off coal imports from North Korea in February, in accordance with U.N. Security Council sanctions.

Along with the deployment of the US aircraft carrier and other vessels into waters off the Korean Peninsula, thousands of USA and South Korean troops, tanks and other weaponry were deployed last month in their biggest joint military exercises.

Washington and Seoul will try hard to figure out what exactly North Korea fired.

According to the White House adviser, the test had been expected and the USA had good intelligence both before and after the launch. The country launched a long-range rocket and conducted two nuclear tests a year ago, including its most powerful to date.

Comments