Japan PM strongly urges North Korea to refrain from further provocative actions

Adjust Comment Print

Vice President Mike Pence has responded to North Korea's failed attempt at a missile test launch by calling it a "provocation from the north" that is a reminder of risks people face "in the defense of the freedom of South Korea and the defense of America".

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence speaks as his wife Karen Pence listens during a dinner with soldiers and family members after Easter Sunday church services at a military base in Seoul, South Korea, Sunday, April 16, 2017.

Mr Pence will be tasked with explaining USA policy in meetings with leaders in South Korea and Japan during the trip, which will also include stops in Indonesia and Australia.

Pence is on the first stop of a four-nation Asia tour meant to show America's allies - and remind its adversaries - that the Trump administration is not turning its back on the increasingly volatile region.

President Trump tweeted Thursday that he has "great confidence" in China's ability to "properly deal with North Korea".

Trump is still willing to consider military action, including a sudden strike, to counteract North Korea's series of destabilizing actions, said two people familiar with the White House's thinking.

"We had good intelligence before the launch and good intelligence after the launch", the adviser told reporters.

Speaking on Sunday before a handful of the 28,500 U.S. military personnel stationed in South Korea, Pence denounced the latest North Korea test as a "provocation".

Many outside analysts believe that North Korea has not yet mastered the technology to build warheads small enough to place on long-range missiles, though some civilian experts say North Korea can already build nuclear-tipped shorter range missiles that have South Korea and Japan within its striking range.

NBA Playoffs Weekend TV Schedule And Matchups
The game looked more like a preseason exhibition than a matchup between two of the league's top teams. Thompson played the game with a brace on his thumb that he will have to wear in the playoffs.

As for the vice president himself, this first trip to South Korea is not just a big responsibility at a critical time - it is also an emotional trip personally for him.

But US officials said the missile exploded seconds after it was sacked.

"Japan will closely cooperate with the US and South Korea over North Korea and will call for China to take a bigger role", Abe told parliament. The United States, South Korea and other countries have vowed to apply more pressure on the North, but so far nothing has worked to stop Pyongyang's nuclear program. For this reason, Kim Jong Un likely will continue firing midrange missiles, which Beijing does not see as a major problem, but refrain from carrying out nuclear and ICBM tests, Cheong said.

Former British foreign secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind said that American intelligence has used cyber warfare to successfully foil missile tests before and that there is a "strong belief" the Trump administration was behind North Korea's latest failed launch.

In advance of the celebration, the Pentagon dispatched a carrier group to waters off the Korean peninsula, and Trump delivered an unspecified threat: "North Korea is a problem", he said.

McMaster said various USA military and intelligence agencies are working on providing options to "have them ready" for Trump "if this pattern of destabilizing behavior continues".

Trump has repeatedly said he will prevent Pyongyang from developing a nuclear-tipped ballistic missile capable of reaching the mainland United States.

McMaster also branded North Korea "a hostile regime", and Kim Jong-un an unpredictable leader who's "demonstrated his brutality". It has said it has developed and would launch a missile that can strike the mainland United States but officials and experts believe it is some time away from mastering the necessary technology.

Comments