Flights cancelled as New Zealand waits for storm to hit

Adjust Comment Print

Parts of New Zealand's North Island are now under a state of emergency, with residents in the low-lying parts of Coromandel, which has already seen landslips and closed roads, being told to leave immediately.

Among the hardest-hit areas were Northland, the Bay of Plenty, and Hawkes Bay, where thousands were left without power at the height of the storm.

"Further very heavy rain and high winds are forecast until Saturday 15 April 2017 for much of New Zealand". Hundreds of people in New Zealand were ev. The MetService of New Zealand has issued warnings for heavy rain and strong winds for several areas of the North Island.

Authorities had feared the storm could hit the city and cause major problems."It seems Auckland has largely survived. unscathed", Auckland Mayor Phil Goff tweeted.

The weather has also disrupted flights across the country, with Air New Zealand suspending all flights in and out of Tauranga. The military said it had placed 500 troops on standby to assist those affected, if required.

New Caledonia: media reported one death, four people injured, as well as floods and damage along the east cost of Grand Terre, especially in the communities around Thio, Canala, Houailou and Kouaoua.

U.S. Drops Biggest Non-Nuclear Bomb Ever Used In Combat
The U.S. has used the bomb's predecessor, a smaller but still massive weapon known as the "Daisy Cutter", in Afghanistan before. USA officials have said they believe the movement has only 700 fighters but Afghan officials estimate it has about 1,500.

Many areas of the North Island are already sodden after the remnants of Australia's Cyclone Debbie swept over last week and caused extensive flooding.

The massive is expected to hit New Zealand this night and tomorrow to reach the capital of Wellington.

Last Thursday the town of Edgecumbe was flooded when a river burst through a concrete levee on the Rangitaiki River as the remnants of Cyclone Debbie hit.

"The worst is over", meteorologist John Crouch at the official Metservice said just before dawn as more than 100 people who had sought shelter at an evacuation centre in Whakatane began to return to their homes in the Bay of Plenty region.

Cyclone Cook is set to be the worst storm system in New Zealand in almost 50 years and the Fire Service has already received dozen of calls about rising water threatening homes in the Thames-Coromandel District, Matamata and Tauranga, a spokesman said.

Comments