Burguan said the shooter, Cedric Anderson, 53, of Riverside, walked in to the classroom armed with a large caliber revolver and opened fire "without saying anything", killing Karen Elaine Smith, also 53, also of Riverside. There were 15 students in the classroom.
Emergency dispatchers began receiving 911 calls reporting shots fired around 10:27 a.m., San Bernardino Public Information Officer Lt. Mike Madden said in a press conference earlier on Monday.
He says "no one has come forward to say they saw this coming". That student was transported to the hospital and remains in critical condition.
Officials said the children were standing behind their teacher when Anderson allegedly opened fire on his wife.
Colleagues remembered Smith as a dedicated educator who loved her job.
The city of San Bernardino last made national headlines on December 2, 2015, when a husband and wife who authorities said were inspired by Islamic extremism opened fire on a holiday office party of county health workers, killing 14 people and wounding more than 20. From there, they were to be taken to a nearby high school to be reunited with their families, police said.
Parents waved and cheered as they greeted their children. There is no indication the suspect's handgun was visible when he entered the school, Maass said. He said he believed Anderson was known to the front office. "If there is an active shooter and students are in imminent danger, the administrator may initiate a rapid relocation if that does not place students in the path of the gunman", according to the district's policy.
The shooting comes as San Bernardino has seen a major increase in violence.
First funerals held for victims of Coptic church bombings in Egypt
I have great confidence that President Al Sisi will handle situation properly", Trump wrote on his official Twitter account. Reports indicated that Egypt's Coptic Pope Tawadros II was inside the church during the bombing, but was not injured.
Maria Garcia, the San Bernardino City Unified School District spokeswoman confirmed that the situation has been "contained", with police claiming there to be "no further threat".
The police chief Jarrod Burguan said the incident is suspected to be a "murder-suicide" attempt, the BBC reports.
He said at least two students were taken to a hospital.
According to San Bernardino Mayor Carey Davis, a spokesman for President Donald Trump contacted him to express sympathy and offer assistance if needed. A school official said the attack was believed to stem from a "domestic dispute" and that the teacher knew the gunman. "There were two students behind her, and they were both shot".
Students gather before being taken on buses to Cal State.
The high school is located 1200 W. Hill Dr.
Others noted San Bernardino's recent history with violence.
Marina Ramos told news station KABC-TV that she rushed to the school to try to pick up her grandson after she heard about the shooting.




Comments