President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi declared a three-month state of emergency in Egypt following twin church bombings that killed dozens of people in two cities on April 9, 2017. After a few hours, another blast hit the front of St. Mark's Cathedral in Alexandria, killing 11 and injuring 35, as reported by NBC News.
The Vatican's slogan for the trip is "Pope of peace in Egypt of peace".
Reacting before the second bombing in Alexandria, Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid called the attack in Tanta "a failed attempt against our unity".
"I got up, and saw bodies all around me".
A neighbour of the church said the blast was so powerful it shook her flat. ISIS has claimed responsibility for both attacks.
The organisation previously released a video vowing it would "cleanse" Egypt of Christians.
Al-Azhar, the world's highest seat of Sunni Islam, called the attacks an "outrageous crime" against all Egyptians.
"Someone infiltrated with an explosive belt weighing six kilograms", one woman said.
China Southern in talks with American Airlines
American said the two carriers are expected later this year to begin codeshare and interline agreements. China Southern said today it will issue shares worth HK$1.55bn to a subsidiary of American Airlines .
According to the document, the Armed Forces and police will ensure the necessary measures are taken to combat potential terror threats and the financing of terror activities.
The attacks occurred on one of the most important dates in the Christian calendar, which marks the triumphal entry of Jesus Christ into Jerusalem.
A 50-year-old man who was nearby when it struck suffered an anxiety attack as a result of the attack, the Magen David Adom ambulance service said.
"So even though it's been hard, we just laud our brothers and sisters in this land at the dignity and the patience and the grace they have exhibited during their times of suffering", he said.
The US Embassy in Egypt condemned "the heinous, reprehensible terrorist attack against peaceful worshippers".
He also expressed confidence in el-Sisi's commitment to protect Christians and all Egyptians. Francis learned of the attack during Palm Sunday observances in St. Peter's Square.
Heartbreaking photos show mourners weeping over coffins of their loved ones during a memorial service at a Coptic Christian Church in Egypt.
"We confirm our fundamental position of absolute condemnation of any terrorist attacks and once again state our support for resolute actions towards an uncompromising fight against terrorism taken by the Egyptian authorities", it added.




Comments